Java Question B4A Views source

tomazc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Would it be possible to get the sources of the B4A Views (View, Panel, Button, Spinner, CheckBox, EditText, ..) so I could extend or modify it to my needs?
Specifically I currently need to implement a ButtonBar (this is a linear layout with a custom style that fills it's content with borderless buttons and adds a separator line between them, like the buttons on the bottom of a dialog), and some other widget features that I would like to have that are not implemented.

tomazc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes for things that can be set after creation that's true, but I need to set parameters in creators thus i need to override the initialize methods and without the sources of the originals I would not know what needs to be in that method apart from the android object creation for everything to work correctly in B4A.

tomazc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you think there would be a problem in doing what I want to?
Not practically but rights wise.

I know all about the practical problems of doing this when it comes to updates of the core library and alike but I have a lot of experience in such work.
So I guess the only question is if it's permitted?

keirS

Licensed User
Longtime User

Do you know you are potentially breaking the EULA every time you distribute an APK generated by B4A'?

EULA said:
You may not distribute any file that was included with Basic4android,
or that was downloaded from basic4ppc.com site.

An APK can reverse engineered to a set of Smali files and Smali files can be reverse engineered class files. or source code. The fact that the container for those files has changed from JAR to APK is irrelevant from a legal standpoint.

warwound

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you know you are potentially breaking the EULA every time you distribute an APK generated by B4A'?

An APK can reverse engineered to a set of Smali files and Smali files can be reverse engineered class files. or source code. The fact that the container for those files has changed from JAR to APK is irrelevant from a legal standpoint.

You're quoting out of context.
The discussion you quoted from was not about the proprietary b4a code that is in our generated .apks.
It was about reverse engineering proprietary b4a java libraries.
As I understand it, we have a licence to use(develop with) b4a.
If we reverse engineer we have no licence to use that code gained through reverse engineering.

But look at some libraries - Erel has allowed a fair number of native b4a objects to be modified and redistributed via the form.

Explain what you wanna achieve and wait for a blessing from Erel.

keirS

Licensed User
Longtime User
In that case I have removed the PDFwrapper library. Since I got some of the code from de-compiling an APK with the B4A Canvas class in it. Apologies to Erel as I didn't realize this wasn't acceptable and broke the EULA.

tomazc

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel
All I would like is permission to use what I have made.
Basically what I needed was to see how this classes work in order to extend them or create new ones. It is difficult to extend a wrapper if you don't know what the super class does and where. So specifically I needed to see the ViewWrapper source to see what it implements and the PanelWrapper to see how to extend it. That's it. I needed it to learn not to copy.

I apologize if I overstepped any bounds.
I am used to working with development environments where library source is provided just for this reason so you can extend it yourself.