Can Basic4Android be used to create music-related apps?

karmacomposer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is there a way to create music/audio apps using Basic4Android?

I create virtual instruments for windows (synthedit) and would LOVE to create some music/instrument apps using this software for Android (especially for tablets).

I have tons of samples I created. I wonder if you could use soundfont format? If not, I wonder how to map samples? Anyway, if someone could let me know if it's possible to create audio apps.

I assume sliders, buttons and knobs can be used from Knobman (which I do use).

Mike

James Moxham

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes that is the sort of thing that ought to easily port to Basic4Android. It is 8 bits but no reason it could not be 16 bit.

If you did it on a .wav file you could probably do that with the code we have now, ie mediaplayer. The problem is that in order to play it you have to save it to flash memory and then read it back and flash memory 'wears out' after about 10,000 writes.

Hence the motivation to be able to do this within software using arrays and then output the data directly to the speakers.

This audio thread is all very exciting. I did this sort of thing 20 years ago on a machine that weighed about 200kg and cost $100,000. It would be amazing to have a synth in your pocket with the ability to recode it the way you want it.

Upvote 0

karmacomposer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes that is the sort of thing that ought to easily port to Basic4Android. It is 8 bits but no reason it could not be 16 bit.

If you did it on a .wav file you could probably do that with the code we have now, ie mediaplayer. The problem is that in order to play it you have to save it to flash memory and then read it back and flash memory 'wears out' after about 10,000 writes.

Hence the motivation to be able to do this within software using arrays and then output the data directly to the speakers.

This audio thread is all very exciting. I did this sort of thing 20 years ago on a machine that weighed about 200kg and cost $100,000. It would be amazing to have a synth in your pocket with the ability to recode it the way you want it.

The iPhone has many of them. Check out nanostudio. It's amazing. I jammed with my best friend using only my iPhone. For android, I bought Jasuto. Pretty cool but a bit hard to learn. My goal is to develop a rompler for android.

Mike

Upvote 0

Bob Katayama

Licensed User
Longtime User
Jetplayer also includes a virtual instrument, so sound-design developers like myself can use it to create a sound library for Android.

Mike

Thanks for this Mike. I was not aware that a virtual instrument support was included. I can then create an application like a beat box with dials and save the creations to a MIDI file once JetPlayer support is added to Basic4Android.

What format do you recommend for the sound files when ceeating my own sound library?

Bob

Upvote 0

karmacomposer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for this Mike. I was not aware that a virtual instrument support was included. I can then create an application like a beat box with dials and save the creations to a MIDI file once JetPlayer support is added to Basic4Android.

What format do you recommend for the sound files when ceeating my own sound library?

Bob

To be clear, from what I read, Jetplayer has a vsti on the PC side - I do not think it carries over to android, though you can certainly create a vsti on android with midi support. I did read somewhere that you can use knobman and somehow use its output in android, just not sure where I read it and how to implement it. I will be researching all of this since I plan on writing instruments for android with basic4android.

As far as format, I am not sure what Jetplayer accepts, but my multisamples are available in wav, soundfont, wusiksnd, Halion and other formats, so I am sure that one of them will work with Jetplayer's rompler.

The jetplayer system writes a custom jet file once you are ready that is then ready for android, so you do not port your soundfonts, wav files, etc if you are using it.

Google Jetplayer (made by Sonivox) and you can read all about it.

Mike

Upvote 0

Bob Katayama

Licensed User
Longtime User
I plan to add support for the JetPlayer features: JetPlayer | Android Developers
You will then be able to use the Jet Creator tool that comes with the Android SDK to create the content.

Hi Erel:

I read this online.
Creating Sound Effects in Android: Part 1 on Android Development

Soundpool Class
SoundPool | Android Developers

Playing sound FX in games
Android Snippets: Playing sound FX for a game

Creating and using sound effects seems to be easier using an Android class called soundpool. Any chance you can look into adding this to Basic4Android down the road?

Thanks

Bob

Upvote 0

Cor

Licensed User
Longtime User
Needs code for playing sound files with different speed with pitch remains the same, for learning songs.
jetplayer can play deifferent speeds but then also the pitch changes

It's not clear to me if i can use the jetplayer to play single midi note's without
creating a midi file.

e.g. play note c2, with specific volume and release time with a specific instrument.

This is needed to play the chords from my Chords program for android

Upvote 0