Help connect Asus Pad to PC

boten

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've been using B4A for about a year. I have a Samsung Galaxy S (froyo). I can connect the phone to the PC (win XP) in two manners:

1) for developing in B4A IDE (using development / USB debugging in settings)
2) for moving data PC<--->phone as usb mass storage (a green/orange droid shows on screen to connect/disconnect)
In this mode I see 2 new drives in windows explorer (the internal sdcard and my external MicroSD card)

in both cases the phone's usb cable is connected to a usb extending cable that connects to the rear of the PC and extends to a convenient location on my table.

Now I also have Asus Transformer TF300 running ICS.
I tried to connect to PC but nothing happened. I downloaded usb drivers from Asus but they would not install.
After fiddling around with the drivers I already installed (with the SDK), changing names, etc... I got the Asus to connect to the B4A IDE.

BUT:
1) I can not connect as usb mass storage! The setting menu of the asus has 2 options:
a) media device (MTP) - when i select this nothing happens, no drives in explorer
b) camera (PTP) - when selected I can only see the DCIM folder and explorer treats the Asus as camera

2) Connecting the Asus for development (USB debugging) does not work with the extending cable. It works ONLY when connected to a usb port in the front panel of the PC.

While point #2 is just strange, point #1 is crucial!!!
How do I connect the Asus to the PC to move files around?

And NO, I do NOT want Asus Sync (tried it, it is just for syncing contacts/calendar which i don't need)

Your help & ideas are appreciated.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Earlier Android versions look like a mass storage device to a PC. If disconnected suddenly this can cause corruption of the device memory. ICS and later look like either a media device or a camera as the MTP and PTP protocols are more robust in the case of unexepected removal.

What OS do you have? I assume XP as it looks like it lacks support for MTP. Vista and later should have MTP built-in. I believe that if you install Windows Media Player 10 or later on XP it will also install MTP.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

boten

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thx Andrew. My "solution" was to install FTP server on the Asus and use FileZilla on the PC. Sounds silly to use my wifi network to xfer files when a single cable would do, but it works.:D (i need to xfer data files, not media/pics)

Upvote 0

boten

Licensed User
Longtime User
I already had Filezilla installed on PC for site managment (not Android related) so the PC overhead wal nil. Besides, it's amazing that FTP server for android is only 70k (!!!) - Always had sympathy for small proggies.

Upvote 0