Share My Creation Holo Example App

My first try of trying to replicate the standard android actionbar and navigation drawer. It has a few bugs and is still unfinished, but for the most part it's fully usable and looks quite pretty :)

apk
download source zip

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-06-18-17-13-41.png
    Screenshot_2013-06-18-17-13-41.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 2,005
Last edited:

edgeryder1000

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks!
Just to warn you, my code is horrible :)

On my nexus 4 it freezes for a few second while all the text files load and are formatted, maybe multi-threading would solve that?

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
dear lord...i cannot figure anything out in your code! no comments and no modularity!
Anyway the effects are really nice, I suggest you use Classes, that will make your app a LOT simpler.
How did you make the listview in the sidebar to be hierarchical?

Yes, loading the data in a different thread will be faster, is there a large file to read?

edgeryder1000

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yep I know, it got so bad that I am starting over from scratch; making my actionbar into a class, using corwin42's new navigation drawer lib, and actually try to make my code readable lol.

The listview thing is just three buttons with listviews between them, when clicked a timer adds items one at a time and moves the views below down, and the whole thing is in a scrollview.

What happens is a whole book of the bible is loaded in a viewpager (on avg ~30 txt files) each time the app loads or the user changes book. So not a big file, just lots of small ones.

Thanks for your interest, it means a lot. And I promise I will write better code from now on, I think I've learned that the hard way now :p

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
A lot of my code is similar too :( ...when I started I had less idea and there were no classes. I am very afraid to make changes to the core functionality due to this reason!
However, ever since discovering classes, my job has become extremely easy, you will be surprised.
I think your UI is excellent though. Good use of fonts (very few people appreciate that).
I guess to make it responsive you can either call DoEvents in the middle, or if it is too long, then use the threading library (which I have never used!).

edgeryder1000

Licensed User
Longtime User
I pretty much just copied Google's design, so not much creativity from me, maybe one day though.
I have just started working on my actionbar class, and does seem like it's going to make for much cleaner, more usable code, so thanks for the tip.
And yes I will have do do something like that when I get around to doing the re-write, but I'll leave that for later.