Play Store Beta Testing Channel

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have tried to set up a beta testing channel in playstore for an app (just to see how the process works).
It finally gives me a link for beta testers.
Can someone check and tell me what they see on this link (provided by the playstore)?
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.maximussoft.backup

The app might not be there yet, since I just published it, might take a couple of hours.
I have attached what I see when I click the link.

Attachments

• beta.png
    beta.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 278
D

Deleted member 103

Hi thedesolatesoul,

Unfortunately, your link does not work.

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 196
Upvote 0

yttrium

Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

yttrium

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've been accepted into the group and now I too get the beta signup page. It's no longer a 404.

Screenshots look nice tds. I think the action bar gradient should be a little more subtle, and you should see about some flatter icons for folder, but other than that it looks beautiful.

Oh, and you should probably use a stock device and not Touchwiz for your screenshots.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I see. This means the procedure is to:
- first create a googlegroup /g+ community
- get all the beta/alpha testers to sign up to it (this would be the harder part)
- then upload the apk, mark it as beta
- fill out all of the other description/screenshots in the playstore
- publish the app (even if there is no production apk)
- then get the beta link (from the apk page > manage list)
- provide the link to the testers (on the group)

seems like a long procedure.
though i need to see what is the advantage of this. will i be getting all the bug reports in one place more easier.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I've been accepted into the group and now I too get the beta signup page. It's no longer a 404.

Screenshots look nice tds. I think the action bar gradient should be a little more subtle, and you should see about some flatter icons for folder, but other than that it looks beautiful.

Oh, and you should probably use a stock device and not Touchwiz for your screenshots.
Thanks yttrium! Yes, I only notice that with white backgrounds the gradient becomes too rounded. And thanks for pointing out the folder icons. I should change those too.
I dont have a stock device, I would probably use the emulator. Also reminds me to use scrotter to do the frame too!

Thanks basil99 for testing it. I'll open a new thread for the app now that I know how this thing works.

Though I must say that approving people for beta test is a long process. Maybe we can have a B4A-beta-test group.

Upvote 0

Geezer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi TDS.

OK, so, I became a tester, installed the app and I have a few comments.

Now, the tester page looks like the regular store, I don't see anywhere to leave comments for beta testers other than the regular comments on the site. Not sure if that's where you would want any problems posting.

In the call log download it lists an entry *86 as null, but in the contacts list it identifies *86 as voicemail. It's an automatic entry into my phone, not a user added contact, so maybe that's the difference.

In the contacts list some of the columns show numbers such as 1.37056E+12

The settings page text is very light on my phone and is hard to read.

Maybe include a column header line in the downloads, or put the info about what each column is on the help page.

Apart from that, seems to work well. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi TDS.

OK, so, I became a tester, installed the app and I have a few comments.

Now, the tester page looks like the regular store, I don't see anywhere to leave comments for beta testers other than the regular comments on the site. Not sure if that's where you would want any problems posting.
Thanks Geezer!
At the moment I havent released any production version, so you wont be able to comment on the main page. I guess the idea, is to leave comments in the googlegroup (though we are not following that at the moment).

In the call log download it lists an entry *86 as null, but in the contacts list it identifies *86 as voicemail. It's an automatic entry into my phone, not a user added contact, so maybe that's the difference.
The problem is that the CallLog provider in Android only provides a CACHED_NAME if it is available (and is not guaranteed to be correct). In reality this is just for display purposes (in both the Android Provider and the CSV file), the CallLog database does not contain the names. It is possible to poll the contacts provider with the phone number, however that will slow down the whole process of backing up.

In the contacts list some of the columns show numbers such as 1.37056E+12
I am guessing you opened it in Excel. If you widen the columns it should display the full number.

The settings page text is very light on my phone and is hard to read.
Can you get me a screenshot of that? I guess on high brightness phones (esp Samsung), Holo Light themes are a problem in general?

Maybe include a column header line in the downloads, or put the info about what each column is on the help page.
That is a fair point. I will add a header column.

Apart from that, seems to work well. :)
Thanks for testing!

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yep

That's the way it works. Just started using it myself.

I see. This means the procedure is to:
- first create a googlegroup /g+ community
- get all the beta/alpha testers to sign up to it (this would be the harder part)
- then upload the apk, mark it as beta
- fill out all of the other description/screenshots in the playstore
- publish the app (even if there is no production apk)
- then get the beta link (from the apk page > manage list)
- provide the link to the testers (on the group)

seems like a long procedure.
though i need to see what is the advantage of this. will i be getting all the bug reports in one place more easier.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0

yttrium

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks yttrium! Yes, I only notice that with white backgrounds the gradient becomes too rounded. And thanks for pointing out the folder icons. I should change those too.
I dont have a stock device, I would probably use the emulator. Also reminds me to use scrotter to do the frame too!

I have a One X+ running ParanoidAndroid. I planned to do a nandroid backup and flip my theme and settings back to stock in order to grab some screenshots for Scrotter. I could nab some for your app too, if you want.

As per an actual review of the app, I would look into using this kind of library instead of the current dialog system:
http://www.b4x.com/forum/additional...l-updates/27358-lib-customprogressdialog.html

I sat forever on the first dialog ("Backing up to /storage/emulated/0") and I thought it was operating. Took me forever to figure out I had to hit "OK" before it began, and then a loading bar happened, and then it gave me yet another dialog saying it finished. Instead, you should consolidate all of these into a single dialog - "Back up to /storage/emulated/0 ?" --> User presses 'OK' --> Loading dialog --> Finished --> "Backed up to /storage/emulated/0" --> User presses 'OK' --> Dismiss dialog

Also, each time you tap on a section, the arrow rotates 90 degrees to the left, even if it's expanding - hence, by doubletapping, it expands but rotates 180 degrees, pointing to the left rather than down, and then tapping once makes it point down when it's collapsed. You should make a temp boolean variable to tell it whether or not to rotate, and that boolean should be true while it's expanding - so declare it in globals for each menu (or as an array), set it to true just before you begin expanding, and then set it to false as soon as it finishes expanding.

Additionally, you should look into using the AHQuickAction library so that your action bar's menu pops up where the user clicks (from the top right, the action bar) rather than the bottom of the screen.

Finally, how did you do that settings page with the full back button? I'd love to copy it or do something similar for Scrotter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a One X+ running ParanoidAndroid. I planned to do a nandroid backup and flip my theme and settings back to stock in order to grab some screenshots for Scrotter. I could nab some for your app too, if you want.
Sure that would be great if its not too much of a problem.

As per an actual review of the app, I would look into using this kind of library instead of the current dialog system:
http://www.b4x.com/forum/additional...l-updates/27358-lib-customprogressdialog.html

I sat forever on the first dialog ("Backing up to /storage/emulated/0") and I thought it was operating. Took me forever to figure out I had to hit "OK" before it began, and then a loading bar happened, and then it gave me yet another dialog saying it finished. Instead, you should consolidate all of these into a single dialog - "Back up to /storage/emulated/0 ?" --> User presses 'OK' --> Loading dialog --> Finished --> "Backed up to /storage/emulated/0" --> User presses 'OK' --> Dismiss dialog
This is a very valid concern and makes a lot of sense. I could use a dialog to show progress however its a bit too late for that. I actually like the position of my progressbar for now. I will probably just change the messages (easy way out!)

Also, each time you tap on a section, the arrow rotates 90 degrees to the left, even if it's expanding - hence, by doubletapping, it expands but rotates 180 degrees, pointing to the left rather than down, and then tapping once makes it point down when it's collapsed. You should make a temp boolean variable to tell it whether or not to rotate, and that boolean should be true while it's expanding - so declare it in globals for each menu (or as an array), set it to true just before you begin expanding, and then set it to false as soon as it finishes expanding.
Lol I am surprised how many people reported this. Its an easy fix, but I like to leave an easter egg here and there :p

Additionally, you should look into using the AHQuickAction library so that your action bar's menu pops up where the user clicks (from the top right, the action bar) rather than the bottom of the screen.
This is interesting, because usually thats what I do, but in this app I left it upto Android to deal with it. Though I have seen apps do both I do not know what the correct behaviour is.

Finally, how did you do that settings page with the full back button? I'd love to copy it or do something similar for Scrotter.
The settings page is a custom activity (not Preferences). The back button comes from the AHActionbar and I put that icon as the home icon.
B4X:
AB.AddHomeAction(0, ic_back)

Upvote 0

yttrium

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sure that would be great if its not too much of a problem.
Of course, I'll get right on that. And yes that means Scrotter is just about done.

This is a very valid concern and makes a lot of sense. I could use a dialog to show progress however its a bit too late for that. I actually like the position of my progressbar for now. I will probably just change the messages (easy way out!)
Just be sure the first one has a question mark, since it's a prompt.

Lol I am surprised how many people reported this. Its an easy fix, but I like to leave an easter egg here and there :p
If you insist~

This is interesting, because usually thats what I do, but in this app I left it upto Android to deal with it. Though I have seen apps do both I do not know what the correct behaviour is.
The correct behavior is to do what the user expects it to do, and show feedback where the user expects. Every other Android app with Action Bar overflows shows a menu directly where the user presses the button no matter where that button may be. See: Gmail, SMS, Contacts/People

The settings page is a custom activity (not Preferences). The back button comes from the AHActionbar and I put that icon as the home icon.
B4X:
AB.AddHomeAction(0, ic_back)
Alrighty, thanks.

Upvote 0

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Of course, I'll get right on that. And yes that means Scrotter is just about done.

Just be sure the first one has a question mark, since it's a prompt.

If you insist~

The correct behavior is to do what the user expects it to do, and show feedback where the user expects. Every other Android app with Action Bar overflows shows a menu directly where the user presses the button no matter where that button may be. See: Gmail, SMS, Contacts/People

Alrighty, thanks.

Thanks I made most of the changes (left the QuickActions and Headers for now they will take more time).
I was looking for Scrotter in the Play Store before, looking forward to the release :)
I want to see how quickly the changes ripple through the store. Just uploaded it.

Upvote 0

yttrium

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks I made most of the changes (left the QuickActions and Headers for now they will take more time).
I was looking for Scrotter in the Play Store before, looking forward to the release :)
I want to see how quickly the changes ripple through the store. Just uploaded it.

imgur: the simple image sharer
Enjoy!

I'd like to know how to managed to keep the button in the AOSP style here, if that's possible, though:
https://lh4.ggpht.com/8L3waVLAuJAZYDRwh3HXCEC3TXh9sjwRFtDdiqyhJUwRhv74EKiinZ4nLZmFUu4klQ
Since Touchwiz is apparently being used in the screenshot, and yet AOSP elements are loaded... how do?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks a lot. Your screenshots are a lot better resolution than mine.

I'd like to know how to managed to keep the button in the AOSP style here, if that's possible, though:
https://lh4.ggpht.com/8L3waVLAuJAZYDRwh3HXCEC3TXh9sjwRFtDdiqyhJUwRhv74EKiinZ4nLZmFUu4klQ
Since Touchwiz is apparently being used in the screenshot, and yet AOSP elements are loaded... how do?
Well I just explicitly set the theme to Holo Light for this project using:
B4X:
SetApplicationAttribute(android:theme, "@android:style/Theme.Holo.Light")
You can do that for individual activities. This tutorial was extremely helpful:
http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4andr...rials/27624-theme-based-version-tutorial.html

Upvote 0

yttrium

Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0