Please ask me

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
What does this mean? There are too many ready made product in the market? 😅

Have you tried using them?
I am not sure about your experience but for me,
  1. Too complicated to learn and use, I just need a simple shop that sell less than 5 products
  2. Too difficult to customize
  3. Too many ads and spam
  4. They actually want you to pay after use the Free version
  5. Too many vulnerabilities as they depends on some free third parties plugins
  6. You will end up hire someone to extend or customize the system
  7. Limited templates
  8. Expensive and subscription based
  9. Too bloated and big in file size
  10. Limited database support
  11. Limited API support for mobile or native app
  12. You think it is stable but actually not
Tell me I am wrong.

Of course, I tried different systems, Magento (which is terribly slow) then Prestashop, then several others, and also NopCommerce
They are all highly complex projects and therefore inevitably have various bugs and errors which however are corrected more or less quickly
They all have 'community' versions which are basically free, but then when you try to use them in real life then you realize that without several (paid) plug-ins you can't use them In particular, credit card payments and systems for connecting with various transporters are indispensable functions and practically always require payment
As regards the quantity of articles present, I wouldn't see the difference between 5 or 50K articles, once for each article you have the possibility to store the personal information, price, category, and some images, I don't see any difference in having a few items or having many
What could make a system attractive both for me and I believe also for colleagues who frequent this forum is the possibility of being able to read/write directly on the database from the outside, for example from the management software used for administration
And therefore the loading of articles, categories, prices, customer records, reading of orders received could be carried out directly from the company management system

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
As regards the quantity of articles present, I wouldn't see the difference between 5 or 50K articles, once for each article you have the possibility to store the personal information, price, category, and some images, I don't see any difference in having a few items or having many
For me there is a different, in the layout design. For simple shop, you don't need so many department or categories. You also don't need advanced search like size or colors. You don't need so many sections on the page. I think we don't need blog or news page too. So, the ready made software always come with these bloatware.

What could make a system attractive both for me and I believe also for colleagues who frequent this forum is the possibility of being able to read/write directly on the database from the outside, for example from the management software used for administration
And therefore the loading of articles, categories, prices, customer records, reading of orders received could be carried out directly from the company management system
Sure, by using the database of our choice, we have the full control.
We can have our own database table name conventions, relationship and freedom to do whatever we want without the worry of breaking the system that we are not familiar with. If we need, we can also create API to share with other system such as mobile apps and other monitoring system.

zed

Licensed User
Departments, categories, etc... are created dynamically, in no case should they be static. So 5 or 5k doesn't change anything. The layout will also be created dynamically.
Everything starts from the database. It's a bit like a TreeView. These are the tables and their relationships which will define the architecture of the system.
If you don't allow certain items, there's a good chance it will never be used.
It is more interesting to have all the elements possible. The users will use them or not. It's up to him to decide.
In any case, if the system developed is not complete, it is not of much use. It remains a concept.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Departments, categories, etc... are created dynamically, in no case should they be static. So 5 or 5k doesn't change anything. The layout will also be created dynamically.

I still believe there is different.
Of course layout can be populated dynamically but the logic must be totally different.

Let say I have 5 products, I can dynamically populate them in the left panel vertically. It will look okay.
If I am going to list all 5000 products in the left panel, how the page will look like?

If I want to display 3-5 products horizontally. It will look okay by just using a responsive layout.
If I have more like 6 to 20, maybe a carousel is more suitable.
If more than that, like 5000 it is not suitable to show all. I need choose the top 10 or favorite 20 products only.
A search component is required.

If I can show all products, why I need a search component?

If I have 5 products, having department or categories will give the impression that I have less product in each category. In this case, it is better don't use category.

If you don't allow certain items, there's a good chance it will never be used.
Why I need to keep the unused tables in my database and modules in my project when I don't need them?

It is more interesting to have all the elements possible. The users will use them or not. It's up to him to decide.
When all sections are enabled by default, we need to remove them one by one.

For me, when starting a new shop. I just want it to be simple and clean.
If let say my shop grows bigger in the future and having more products, it will be more advanced.
I prefer starting from a simple layout then add more sections when needed.

In any case, if the system developed is not complete, it is not of much use. It remains a concept.
At the end, I can say that whether it attracts users, it is about luck.
Some really can see the potential, some don't.
Some understand the meaning of open source, some don't.