Android Tutorial Which device are you using?

Just curious as to which device(s) other than the emulator are you using for testing your application. Phone or tablet? Which brand/model/where purchased,etc.? I used a borrowed Cricket android phone and experienced first hand how difficult it might be for a user to get to the buttons or enter data. It gave me good insight on things I had not thought about while designing on the emulator.

Jim Schuchert

XverhelstX

Licensed User
Longtime User
I use the Xperia X10 and Xperia PLAY.
I actually got the Xperia PLAY (running android 2.3) yesterday, and I was quite amazed. The phone works extremely fast.

For the designer, I use the emulator to place the things on the screen and execute them on my phones.

XverhelstX

Inman

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a Nexus One, Optimus One and Nook Color for tablet. Test my apps in all three. These devices cover all major screen resolutions. I just need a QVGA device like Galaxy Mini or Wildfire.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have an Eken M001 7" 600 x 800 x 1 Chinese tablet which is dead slow but not as bad as the emulator and was cheap as £60 from Ebay. It has a resistive screen.

An Orange San Francisco (ZTE Blade) 480 x 800 x 1.5 phone which was also astonishingly cheap considering the spec (capacitive touch OLED screen) at £99 direct from Orange. I believe later ones were de-specced and now use an LCD screen.

And a Motorola Xoom 800 x 1280 x 1 tablet which was not cheap at initially £500 then later reduced to £480 pre-ordered before launch from PC World.

psevet

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

Using a Motorola Milestone xt720 smartphone. Everything runs fine on it (b4bridge and my apps).

Waiting for a HeroTAB M802 Freescale Cortex A8 chinese tablet (roughly 200+ $).

Regards,

Pierre

Just received my tablet today. B4a works fine. Hours of fun to come :)

Last edited:

GabrielM

Licensed User
Longtime User
Testing on a Samsung i5700 Spica .

All tested B4A code so far is running smooth and fast.
I am very satisfied with B4A overall and with the sustained support on the B4A forum. Big thanks for B4A developers and B4A community. :icon_clap:

mistermentality

Licensed User
Longtime User
Aside from the emulator I use a rooted LG GT540 phone running Froyo. It's a low end Android phone but it has all the things I wanted like GPS and of course Android :)

Dave

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
1. My phone: Samsung Galaxy Beam with pico DLP projector, Android 2.1.
2. My tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Verizon version with Android 2.2.
Basic4Android works very well on both.

Tom Christman

Licensed User
Longtime User
I use an Augen Gentouch, a Witstech a81, and a Viewsonic GTablet for development (lowest to highest speed) with noticeable performance differences. Basic4android is by far the best overall development system I have used (these include Corona, Android Simple(a defunct basic-like system from Google), and AppInventor, (along with dabbling in Eclipse with Java). I am also amazed at the wealth of developers who share their valuable time assisting newbies and veterans alike on the forums of Anywhere Software! And the inimitable founder who has time and patience for all! Thanks to all of you.:sign0060:

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I use HTC Hero Android 2.1 320x480 160dpi,LG GW620 320x480 160dpi running cyanogen 2.1 rom, Storage Technology Scroll 7" Tablet 480x800 160dpi Android 2.1.

Last edited:

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
HTC HD2 running Android Gingerbread (and when necessary Windows Mobile). Sometimes I use my kid's Samsung Galaxy Mini (i5800) for testing.

devjet

Licensed User
Longtime User
Using HTC desire HD. Runs ok if you have most of the apps on SD card else it gets very slow.

Regards

Cor

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is it possible when adding device

you also add height, width and dpi of device?

thanks

fernmo

Licensed User
Longtime User
My device

I started using Basic4android for the first time this morning as app inventor is still rather buggy.I am using the trial version with my rooted ZTE Blade/Orange San Francisco at 800X480.So far,so good.Both the emulator and the phone have been okay but I think i prefer to use the phone

Jim Brown

Licensed User
Longtime User
Samsung Galaxy S (480x800 res)
The phone has been reflashed with Darky's ROM extreme edition. Performance is excellent overall

I am also considering a tablet such as the Galaxy Tab 8.9" with Honeycomb. Or the Acer Iconia A100 which is very well spec'd