B4A Library Android Logcat viewer

Basic4Android has the useful Log command to supplement Toasts and Msgoxes as debugging aids. Although the Basic4Android IDE has a Logcat viewer I find it annoying to have to keep resizing the right hand panel so I use this instead. I have this open permanently next to one or more copies of my help viewer on my second screen with the IDE on the main one.

If your video card is capable of driving more than one display then I strongly recomend that you get a second display as long as you have room for it. Low end displays are so cheap nowadays that, in my opinion at least, it is well worth the small cost to get that extra screen real estate.

You will probably need to add the folder where adb.exe is located to your system path. Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Setting -> Advanced -> Environment Variables -> Select Path in System variables -> Edit. Add a semi-colon to the end then the path to the folder where adb.exe is located.

This is useful to do anyway as it lets you run android.bat and ddms.bat from any command prompt.

Attachments

• B4ALogViewer1.3.zip
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,743
Last edited:

JimHough

Licensed User
Longtime User
File not found error

I looked through the help file and cant find any installation instructions but forgive me if this is already mentioned.
I cant seem to get this application to work.
I assume that I have not installed to the default location so it cant find the file that its looking for.
The message box says 'The system cannot find the file specified'
It looks perfect though, I cant wait to use it.

Last edited:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It doesn't need any installation, the exe should just run from anywhere. I don't recognise the error message, it if can't find adb.exe it should say "Cannot start adb.exe!" and that is the only file it needs in order to run. However it does need the .NET Framework 2.0 or later but this should be installed by default on most Windows system. Are there any more details about the message box, its message or title?

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Andrew,

I have the same problem.
When clicking onto the Start button I get the message below.
"Le fichier spécifié est introuvable"
my translation to "The specified file cannot be found"

Does it work only with devices or also with the emulator ?
Does it depend on where android_sdk_windows is installed ?
On my computer it's installed on the D: drive
D:\Programmes\android_sdk_windows.

Best regards.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It will work on both emullator and devices. It has no dependencies other than on adb.exe and doesn't care where it is installed.

It looks like it can't find adb.exe. I intended it to explicitly notify if it could not run adb but it seems to causing an error before I can trap it. Try adding the path to where adb is located to your system path.

Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Setting -> Advanced -> Environment Variables -> Select Path in System variables -> Edit. Add a semi-colon to the end then the path to the folder where adb.exe is located.

This is useful to do anyway as it lets you run android.bat and ddms.bat from any command prompt.

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It looks like it can't find adb.exe. I intended it to explicitly notify if it could not run adb but it seems to causing an error before I can trap it. Try adding the path to where adb is located to your system path.

Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Setting -> Advanced -> Environment Variables -> Select Path in System variables -> Edit. Add a semi-colon to the end then the path to the folder where adb.exe is located.
Sorry, but where do I find these settings in Windows XP ?

Thank's in advance and Best Regards.

JimHough

Licensed User
Longtime User
Works fine for me with the added path in environment variables.
Thanks for the tool and the help getting it working.

JMB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Can't find file

Hi there

Despite setting the path as you describe, I still get the "System cannot find the file specified" error when I press the Start button.

I am running B4Av1.3, am connected to my Dell Streak, and can see log files in B4A no problem.

Any help would be gratefully received.

JMB

JMB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Fixed

Sorry Andrew, my screw-up. I had entered the adb.exe path into the path environment variable incorrectly.

It all now works as advertised. Very useful indeed - thank you!

JMB

jndaniels1

Licensed User
Longtime User
If your video card is capable of driving more than one display then I strongly recomend that you get a second display as long as you have room for it.

I know this is a older thread - I'd like to share a utility that gives window users 4 Virtual independent desktops. Linux Desktop users would be familiar with this as its native in Xwindows Gnome/KDE etc.

Free tool called: WindowsPager v0.9x can be found at SoftPedia.com.
Lightweight. Small. Integrates very well into Windows 7 and just like in Linux you can right click on a application and "move" it to a different virtual desktop. Very Handy!

.JND.

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It looks good, and I particularly like the fact that it doesn't force you to use it all the time. i.e. it's not installed but run when required.

enonod

Licensed User
Longtime User
[EDIT] I will come back when I have more information, not sure what is happening.

I have just started using the Viewer and have a problem.
I start the Viewer and run B4A program.
I am not using Bridge but connecting my device via usb (adb)
I seem unable to run my program in Debug mode at the same time as the viewer.
Sometimes I get messages when the program is running in its setup loop and as soon as I start the program proper the messages stop and if I start/stop the viewer I get 'not responding'.
Other times starting the viewer causes my program (stopped at a breakpoint) to reload from B4A when I try to continue from the breakpoint.
It works perfectly with the B4A IDE Logger.

I am not sure quite what is going wrong and so can offer not other description.
Can you help please?

Last edited:

krishna

Licensed User
Longtime User
Can you add font change / custom font support for logging data. If I am not asking for more it would also be great if you can provide source code for this application.:)

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Graham,

I got "No device connect" message although I connected my PC to my phone by B4A-Bridge. How can I fix that?
Thank you for your help.