Android Tutorial TabHost tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is recommended to use TabStripViewPager for new projects: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/63975/#content

The TabHost view is a very important view. It allows you to add several layouts into the same activity.

tabhost_3.png

The designer currently doesn't support adding views directly to the TabHost.
You can only add the TabHost and set its layout:

tabhost1.png

There are several ways to add tab pages. Usually it is recommended to create a layout file in the designer for each page and then load it.
The designer treats every layout file separately. It is your responsibility to set the views names to distinct names (this is only required for views that you plan to access programmatically).

This is done with AddTab or AddTabWithIcon.
Example:
B4X:
Sub Activity_Create(FirstTime As Boolean)
    Activity.LoadLayout("main")
    Dim bmp1, bmp2 As Bitmap
    bmp1 = LoadBitmap(File.DirAssets, "ic.png")
    bmp2 = LoadBitmap(File.DirAssets, "ic_selected.png")

TabHost1.AddTabWithIcon ("Name", bmp1, bmp2, "page1") 'load the layout file of each page
    TabHost1.AddTab("Color", "page2")
    TabHost1.AddTab("Animal", "page3")
End Sub
AddTabWithIcon receives two bitmaps. There are actually two icons. One when the tab is selected and one when the tab is not selected. The guidelines recommend creating a dark version for the selected icon and a light version for the not selected icon.

You can manually change the selected tab by setting the CurrentTab property.

The example is attached.
B4X:
Sub Process_Globals

End Sub

Sub Globals
    Dim TabHost1 As TabHost
    Dim txtName, txtAnimal, txtColor As EditText
End Sub

Activity.LoadLayout("main")
    Dim bmp1, bmp2 As Bitmap
    bmp1 = LoadBitmap(File.DirAssets, "ic.png")
    bmp2 = LoadBitmap(File.DirAssets, "ic_selected.png")

TabHost1.AddTabWithIcon ("Name", bmp1, bmp2, "page1") 'load the layout file of each page
    TabHost1.AddTab("Color", "page2")
    TabHost1.AddTab("Animal", "page3")
End Sub
Sub Activity_Pause (Finishing As Boolean)

End Sub
Sub Activity_Resume

End Sub
Sub btnNext1_Click
    TabHost1.CurrentTab = 1 'move to next tab
End Sub

Sub btnNext2_Click
    TabHost1.CurrentTab = 2 'move to next tab
End Sub

Sub btnDone_Click
    Dim sb As StringBuilder
    sb.Initialize
    sb.Append("You have entered:").Append(CRLF)
    sb.Append("Name: ").Append(txtName.Text).Append(CRLF)
    sb.Append("Color: ").Append(txtColor.Text).Append(CRLF)
    sb.Append("Animal: ").Append(txtAnimal.Text)
    Msgbox(sb.ToString, "")
End Sub

Sub TabHost1_TabChanged
    Activity.Title = "Current Tab = " & TabHost1.CurrentTab
End Sub

Project is available here: http://www.b4x.com/android/files/tutorials/TabHost.zip

Last edited:

Brad

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is there a way to place the tabs at the bottom of the screen?

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I guess I'm missing the obvious but I can't get to build a tab set programatically using AddTab2. I get the tab header displayed and can select one of them but no tab bodies are shown and trying to set the Panel heights throws null pointer exceptions :confused:
B4X:
Sub Globals
   Dim TabHost1 As TabHost
End Sub

TabHost1.Initialize("TabHost1")
   Activity.AddView(TabHost1, 0, 0, 300, 430)
   Dim p1, p2, p3 As Panel
   p1.Initialize("Panel1")
   p2.Initialize("Panel2")
   p3.Initialize("Panel3")
   TabHost1.AddTab2("One", p1)
   TabHost1.AddTab2("Two", p2) 
   TabHost1.AddTab2("Three", p3) 
End Sub

wimpie3

Licensed User
Longtime User
Any idea when this will be ready? I absolutely want to create an app which looks the same as an IOS app I did before, which has its buttons below.

andrewtheart

Licensed User
Longtime User
tab height

Hello,

Thanks to this tutorial I set this up on my device.

However, the tab heights (not the tab content heights, the height of the actual tab buttons) is too much - takes up too much screen real estate on my application!

Is there every going to be a way to manually configure the tab height? (and width)

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is it possible to to have 2 lines of text on the tab name? At moment it auto scrolls sideways. Tried "xxxxxxx" & CRLF & "xxxxxxxx" but that doesn't change anything. Thanks

rjng

Hello,

I was trying to modify the example, and i had a problem:
There is 3 desings: main.bal, page1.bal, page2.bal and page3.bal

I want to use only 2 pages, so i deleted the page3.bal, and deleted all mentions to page3.bal of code. But when I try to Run, I get an error, about the page3.bal. I need this page to continue, even if I'm not using it.

I'm starting here, so i thought there is a link or a declaration where call page3.bal, but i dindt find it. I'm not sure, of curse.

So, what do I have to do to delete page3.bal?

Thanks

warwound

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
+1 I want that too...

Also a tab height will be nice(not read only) for proper reordering views from code(orientation change)...and many, manny other things...but I will not ask them in this post

Check out my TabHostExtras library.

You can set tab height and even toggle the visibility of the tabs!

Martin.

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm thinking about adding tabs to one of the screens in my app, but I'm not sure if it's exactly what I am looking for.

The "screen" is its own activity, but it is essentially a modified version of the ScrollViewList. The activity allows the user to edit 3 different lists (one at a time), currently by pressing a menu button, which refreshes the ScrollViewList with the selected list data.

Can I use a TabHostView for this, to replace the app menu buttons? Specifically, I don't want to actually load different layouts for each tab, but rather have each tab reload/refresh the ScrollViewList with specific list data.

Can I create 3 tabs with the same layout file? Or create tabs with a null layout value so they do nothing but fire a changed event? I could load different info into the ScrollViewList by picking up the currently selected tab in TabHost1_TabChanged.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.