Android Desktop Screenshot

Biscuit

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi

Is it possible to programmatically to capture the 'desktop' image using b4a?

Thanks

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Some devices, such as the Archos 70 tablet, have a function under Settings, Applications, Development which gives the ability to take screen shots. I don't know how many other devices have this ability though.

True, for what I've seen, some tablets have this feature, phones do not.

I don't think it is possible to take a screenshot programatically without some kind of hacking, since most apps doing this require "rooted" devices, the ones not needing a rooted device require some 3rd party app and some voodoo, I think is too much of a hassle.

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There are some apps in the market that can take screen shots, I used such an app for my Pairs4Android Screen-shots...(ScreenShot Free, I think was the name...since then I changed device so I am not sure...) so I believe that it can be done programatically, the question is, at what level, for what I can see, they all demand the device to be rooted!

Upvote 0

Biscuit

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok, thanks for your replies. I was planning / hoping to use the 'desktop' in my app but it doesn't look like that idea is going anywhere...

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Biscuit

Licensed User
Longtime User
I wanted to do something similar to this app here so I could use my app Burn Stuff to do something similar allowing users to set their android desktop on fire. My phone is just a standard phone and hasn't been 'rooted' etc so it must be possible...?

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
he way I see this happening, and becaue the desktop must still be usable, the best bet would be to try to catch touch event in the desktop, and the apply the burning to the wallpaper, not the desktop, as it would render the desktop un-usable during the burning

Upvote 0

hackhack

Licensed User
Longtime User
Some devices, such as the Archos 70 tablet, have a function under Settings, Applications, Development which gives the ability to take screen shots. I don't know how many other devices have this ability though.

The Asus Transformer also has it.

Upvote 0

Biscuit

Licensed User
Longtime User
he way I see this happening, and becaue the desktop must still be usable, the best bet would be to try to catch touch event in the desktop, and the apply the burning to the wallpaper, not the desktop, as it would render the desktop un-usable during the burning

Hi Cableguy

The desktop is not usable when that other app is active. Instead it appears that you are creating some kind of electric shock. My idea was very similar, grab the desktop as a bitmap and then manipulate the picture when the user touches the screen e.g. set it on fire!

No idea how to do it though...

Upvote 0

murdoch1976

Licensed User
Longtime User
Wrapping the Android Screenshot Livrary

Apologies for bumping this after two years of idle.

Is there any chance somebody could wrap this android-screenshot-library - Library for taking screenshots on Android platform. - Google Project Hosting into a B4A library please, or has done already?

In over two years Android still hasn't allowed direct screen capture of what is currently displaying onscreen (so you can screenshot whatever is on display at the time via a service rather than being limited to your own activity). Apparently the library above will do it, but I'm not good enough with java to wrap it up.

Upvote 0