So I got a new laptop...

RacingDog

Licensed User
Ye hah, got a flash new Dell Latitude e6500. Makes the old Acer 1353XC seem like the sick camel I always thought it was.

So, we all do mobile things here don't we? Guess what I wanted to do? Sync Outlook. Right.

The help tells me that if I just plug in, Windows Mobile Device Centre will suddenly activate and just go through the simple steps and all will be well. Did all that exactly as indicated, tried to sync. Nothing!

So I poked around for ages during which I discovered that I could explore the mobile from the PC, so some of it was working. Then, later, I realised that my files were being synched just fine, but not Outlook.

Of course I checked the settings in the WMDC. Of course each section that I wanted was Checked. I even looked in the link "Sync Settings". Strangely the Outlook ones are different to the files ones. The Outlook ones just had two check boxes which seemed defaulted to "Windows PC" checked and "Windows PC 2" not checked. Since the Help files nowhere even mention either of these, I figure I should leave well alone.

Several hours later, after plugging in and out, switching on and off, adding dummy entries just to see if it needed to be new entries and so on, I finally thought, dang (well actually it was more like a deleted expletive), the only thing I haven't done is check "Windows PC 2". So I did that, and (a large and voluble number of deleted expetives later) I went off to tell the family that it was all working now!

So come on. This new Windows 7 that allegedly works thing out for you but doesn't give the needed defaults? This amazing help system that doesn't even mention a vital option? The hours wasted trying to do something that should have just worked first time? Are any of these failing to convince anyone why I think MS are rubbish?

And does anybody understand why one PC talking to one mobile should involve the use of something called "Windows PC 2"? What on earth is this mythical second PC?

Life is too short for this at the best of times. When the Big C is promising you even less of it, this sort of time wasting is just intolerable.

Sorry, but I just had to get it off my chest.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

Merlot2309

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

Not sure if it's of any use:
When you have a server running on your PC/Notebook the connection with a device doesn't function well. I always had a problem with Orion.

Greetz,
Helen.

RacingDog

Licensed User
THanks people.

Yeah, I finally found enough to deduce what was going, but no actual example to show the user what he will see on screen. Demerit.

Also,after further thought, I came to the conclusion that giving the user these options is a complete waste of time. Consider...

1. Neither name is checked, pointless, nothing will happen
2. Only the first name is checked, trouble as above
3. Only the second name is checked, I would guess a new mobile would get the same trouble as above for the reverse reason
4. Both names are checked. This is what I have now. It works perfectly. So as both are checked, the software must be capable of working out which name to use at any one time. So why does it need me to tell it what it can figure out for itself?

Therefore, cases 1 and 4 are pointless, 2 and 3 will lead to trouble when the installation defaults to the one you don't want.

Conclusion, we seem to be getting no benefit and/or a 50% chance of getting it wrong with no direct guidance (yes I fully accept the information can be infered, but that is not good enough, not all users have the experience). Big demerit.

One day I will see something good to say about MS. I hereby promise to be honest and admit it :D

RacingDog

Licensed User
P.S. I am getting seriously tiddled off with several times per day being asked if I want to run the same program. I have tried nurdling several things (run as admin, full privs....), all to no avail! I want the option of saying, bugger certification, I know about this program so bloody well stop asking about it. Is the option there? If so where?

Please nicely and grovel a lot, 'cos this is really irritating.

mtw

Licensed User
Longtime User
P.S. I am getting seriously tiddled off with several times per day being asked if I want to run the same program. I have tried nurdling several things (run as admin, full privs....), all to no avail! I want the option of saying, bugger certification, I know about this program so bloody well stop asking about it. Is the option there? If so where?

Please nicely and grovel a lot, 'cos this is really irritating.

"Control Panel>Action Center>Change User account control" turn it down

RacingDog

Licensed User
Sorry for slow reply. Been in hospital having high dose chemo followed by auto-stem cell replacement. Just got back. Feeling a bit weak and feeble right now and about to lie down. I'll try that in a little while.

Thanks.