Specified cast is not valid

skipper

Licensed User
Hello all,
reading a database table with the SQL executeTable command and then accessing each single cell with

myVar=Table1.Cell(Table1.ColName(k),0)

I get the "Specified cast is not valid" error message if the cell contains a "null" value deriving from an empty field in the database.

How to avoid this message? Only providing a default value to the field? or is there any other solution?

Many thanks
Mimmo

skipper

Licensed User
Hello Erel,
thanks for your reply but, I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I already tried with IsNull and the error is the same. I splitted the IF statement just to be sure about the error line. Running the program, it stops at line with IF

if IsNull(table1.cell(table1.Colname(k),0)) then
else
end if

and raises the same error. :(

Mimmo

skipper

Licensed User
Hi Erel,
please find attached an excerpt of what I was doing. Please don't care about the logic inside the FOR cycle. It has been semplified just to help in isolating the problem.

The strange thing is that the 3rd fields is also "null" (as you can see from the table component) but does not raise any error.

Many thanks for the time you will dedicate me.
Mimmo

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The strange thing is that the 3rd fields is also "null" (as you can see from the table component) but does not raise any error.
It does if you optimise compile it "Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull to type 'System.String'" but not if you legacy compile or run in the IDE. :confused: