Getting ImageButton image from database

glook

Licensed User
Longtime User
Simple question, (sorry if this has already been covered - couldn't find it.) - why does a newly loaded image not show, but is OK if passed to another button?

I have a row of 5 ImageButtons, with no images at the start. They will all shown the same picture: button-1 is loaded from an SQL BLOB and the others are set from the 1st one.

Button-1 does not show the picture, only a red cross. The other 4 buttons show the image correctly.

The code is:-
cmd.CommandText = "SELECT * FROM FileStore WHERE Name = 'camera_pic'"
reader.Value = cmd.ExecuteReader
reader.ReadNextRow
btnPic1.Image = reader.GetImage(2)
reader.Close
btnPic2.Image = btnPic1.Image
btnPic3.Image = btnPic1.Image
btnPic4.Image = btnPic1.Image
btnPic5.Image = btnPic1.Image

Easy workaround is to add "btnPic1.Image = btnPic2.Image" at the end, but why does it not show the first time?

If I replace the first button by an Image control, it shows perfectly. It's no big deal, but curious! Am I doing something wrong?

Geoff.

glook

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, button-1 shows as before - just a a red cross (no text either), while of course the other buttons just correctly show the text only.

The other buttons also show as a red cross, if I load them directly.
reader.ReadNextRow
btnPic1.Image = reader.GetImage(2) ' load image into button
btnPic2.Image = reader.GetImage(2) ' load image into button
reader.Close

Interestingly, if I first load into an ImageList control, it makes no difference and buttons still show as a red cross. Whereas if an invisible Image control is used first, everything works fine. Also OK if an Image control is loaded from the ImageList, like this:-
reader.ReadNextRow
ilPMv.Add(reader.GetImage(2)) reader.Close
btnPic1.Image = ilPMv.Item(0) ' no good - red cross
imgTest.Image = ilPMv.Item(0) ' works fine

BTW I'm running 5.80

Geoff.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
There is a difference between how images pass in different scenarios.
When you pass an image from one control to another, the image is copied.
When you pass an image from reader.GetImage to a control or an ImageList it is passed by reference (no new image).
I'm not sure why there is a difference between the behavior of Image control and ImageButton control.
Another workaround is:
B4X:
btnPic1.Image = reader.GetImage(2)    ' load image into butto
btnPic1.Image = btnPic1.Image
btnPic2.Image = reader.GetImage(2)    ' load image into button
btnPic2.Image = btnPic2.Image

alfcen

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Geoff,
Please uncheck Transparent for the Image Buttons which reference to an image in a binary file.
Cheers
Robert

glook

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Erel and Robert. Very helpful explanation of the behaviour. Unchecking Tranparent does indeed allow the image to display - not something I had thought of and a very useful tip for the future. In this particular example, Transparent is used intentionally so the workaround of re-assigning the image gives an effective result. :)

Geoff.