B4A client and Libraries

mskeels

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I am completely new to B4A and Android development, though I have VB, Delphi and embedded C and assembler experience, so you can consider me a newbie for sure.:sign0104:

I am completely new to Java.

I am developing (this is my aspiration!) a Android client app that interfaces with a Delphi Datasnap server.

Using the "Help with JSON" thread....

http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4android-updates-questions/21114-help-json.html#post123764

...I did get my simple client to connect and return data from my Datasnap server.

As you may know Delphi creates Java libraries and a java proxy unit(?) containing Java "enscapulated" or "translated" versions of the methods available on the Datasnap server.

Now I can "call" or activate the methods by HTTP (as I understand it) or I can attempt to "wrap" the java classes in a Android Library.

I have seen Erel's tutorial on this twice now.

So as I understand it, at the point in the tutorial where Erel writes a new class, I would instead want to add all these Datasnap-generated Java source files to the project, then continue on to complete the library generation.

I am unclear about two things (at least)

*The ShortName feature
*The Depends feature

I am unclear if I will have to modify the source files or not.

I see that a number of people are interfacing to Datasnap servers.....maybe if someone could create a simple example using a preexisting java class and create a library out of it, that would be enough to get me going.

Or should I just stick to the HTTP "calls"?

Looking for any advice or help I can get.

Thanks,
Mark