B4J - Building an ecosystem

devlei

Licensed User
Longtime User
The most frequent question I get while marketing my App is: Can it run on my Windows notebook?

Maybe soon, I will be able to say "YES"!

Brilliant work, Erel, keep it up!!!!

antonomase

Licensed User
Longtime User
I understand that it is more nice to develop a new project than to maintain a project already on rails, but we, the users, we invest into Basic4Android and we expected that the produce continue to improve and to evolve.

So the question is : do you have the time to continue to continue to develop Basic4Android if you start a new project ? Or should you not confide Basic4android to a team in charge of its maintenance whereas you dedicate yourselves to the R&D ?

The originality of Basic4Android is that it is the only language for fast development on Android. On Windows, you have plenty

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
It was discussed before. The focus will remain on Basic4android. B4J will be a free tool.

As you can see in the responses many B4A developers find this idea to be useful.

1. With B4J you will be able to relatively easily create a desktop version from your existing B4A app.
2. You can write the server component that interacts with your Android app.

B4J is heavily based on Basic4android components. The two products will contribute to each other (JavaObject library for example as well as several bugs that were fixed for the next update).

I believe that the first beta version will be released tomorrow. It took less than 3 weeks to reach this point. I guess that it will take another few weeks to release v1.00.

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I believe that B4J will be an excellent companion to B4A and will even help it's user base to grow. For users like me that do not use any other modern languages, it will be extremely welcome. And because the two will be so similar, with non UI and OS specific libraries being compatible I can see it helping to grow the library base for B4A.

I am sure that Erel has improvement plans for B4A and I don't think he would have started another project if he thought it would be detrimental to those.