Basic4android v1.90 is released!

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm happy to release Basic4android v1.90.

This version includes several important new features:

- Designer scripts - this is probably the most innovative feature added to Basic4android since the first version. It will make it much easier to support different screen sizes and resolutions. Designer Scripts Tutorial

- B4A-Bridge - now supports Bluetooth connections as well as wireless connections. http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4andr...8-b4a-bridge-new-way-connect-your-device.html

- Java 7 JDK is supported.
- The logging system was improved and all error messages should now show in the filtered logs.
- List.SortType - new method that allows sorting items of custom types based on one of the type fields.
- Bug fixes and other minor improvements.

Notes

- Layout files created (or updated) with v1.90 are not compatible with previous versions. For that reason it is recommended to backup your projects before upgrading.

- The designer and debugger require Android 2.0 or above. Compiled programs are still supported by Android 1.6 or above.

Users who are eligible for a free upgrade should receive a mail with installation instructions.
Please contact [email protected] if you don't see the mail in 24 hours. Make sure to check your spam folder.

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
grrr why do I always have trouble with download credentials :BangHead:

Upvote 0

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
I realize that once a project is opened and saved in this latest version that it will not be backwards compatible, but is it safe to assume that so long as we don't make any actual code edits in the new layout script editor that nothing should change with the layouts? Also I assume that making changes to the layouts visually (the old way) and not using the script editor at all will not change anything as well.

I'm guessing it would not change anything, but I want to be sure. I've been working with someone on fixing Kindle Fire problems with my app by tweaking my regular code and I don't want to unwittingly change anything related to the layouts. I look forward to using the layout scripts at some point but until I better understand what I am doing, I don't want to mess up my existing app.

BTW, thanks for the awesome update!

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
but is it safe to assume that so long as we don't make any actual code edits in the new layout script editor that nothing should change with the layouts?
No. Once you open the visual designer and then close it you will be asked whether to keep the updates. If you press on Yes then the file will no longer be compatible with previous versions.

Upvote 0

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
No. Once you open the visual designer and then close it you will be asked whether to keep the updates. If you press on Yes then the file will no longer be compatible with previous versions.

To clarify, I mean that even if I let B4A update my layout files (say yes to keep the updates) that nothing will change in my layouts' behaviors as long as I do not make any edits to the new layout scripts?

Upvote 0

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
Once you save a layout file with v1.90 (whether you use scripts or not) the layout file will not be compatible with previous versions.

Sorry, I must have added some confusion when I mentioned backwards compatibility.

I understand that it won't be backwards compatible, but what I mean is that once I update my project to v1.90, will my app's layouts display exactly as they did before the update or is it possible for something to get changed (in order to bring it up to v1.90) that may cause my layouts to work differently now even if I do nothing with the new script feature?

My fear is that B4A will add generic script code to all of my layouts after updating to v1.90 and that those new automatically generated generic scripts may cause my layout code (that I have already written in the app's main module) to not work as it used to. What I am assuming is that so long as I don't write any custom scripts for the layout then it will work and look as it did before when the app runs.

I'm kind of confusing myself now as I am typing this. Hopefully you understand what I mean. :D I think I know the answer but I just want to hear it from you to put myself at ease.

Upvote 0

margret

Licensed User
Longtime User
@ Erel, Does the new 1.9 B4A allow upper and lower case Package Names. This is the reason I did not start using 1.8 even though I have it. I have a half dozen apps in the market I can't change the Package name on. I want to start using the new versions but need to be able to keep the same Package name and case. Seems like I saw or read where you would include that in this release, could be wrong. Thank you for such an awsome product!

Thank You,

B4A Rocks..!!

Margret

Upvote 0

rfresh

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel

In the Designer Scripts window, I'm getting an error with these two lines:

B4X:
lbl_Test2.TextColor = Colors.Black
lbl_Test2.Color = Colors.RGB(127, 255, 212)

"Input string was not in correct format"

Upvote 0

rfresh

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel

I'm not sure the vertical spacing is correct for my test app seekbar_test.top position. Seems like there is more vertical spacing than the other components.

Is it calculating correctly and I just don't understand how it's doing it? Seems like the vertical spacing should be the same as the other components. Maybe something is different about the seekbar?

See attachment.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 269
Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Gaaaghhh! I lost all my IDE screen color settings! Can I still find them anywhere?
I'm afraid that the installer installed a new B4A.xml file.

@rfresh, you should go over the designer scripts tutorial to see the supported properties. Color is not supported.

Please start another thread for the second issue.

Upvote 0

rfresh

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel

I added two more buttons and the seekbar vertical spacing problem went away and it is now spacing correctly vertically like the other components which is what I would have expected. So it is ok now. I don't know what caused the behavior before.

Regarding the support of color: I think this is very important in the designer because to get correct vertical spacing, I set a BG color on all my labels so I can "see" the true Height and Width of my labels. Sometimes a hanging 'g' or 'y' is cut off because the label height is not high enough. It is easier to spot when you can set a BG color (for development only).

Additionally, when you have two labels on the same row, if the width is too wide on one, it will over write the text of the other. These things can of course be detected without BG colors but it is far easier to spot formatting problems with labels if you can set BG colors.

Thanks...

Upvote 0