Discussion about a community project for Utility Subroutines

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
use some tags as if they were constants

I agree with you LucaMS, but spelling could not be enforced.

You are welcome to make the first post with the usage instructions
I'd be happy to do that.

I think that you can focus on B4A only for now (the target can be removed). Later we can create a similar category for B4J.

OK.

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can do the first Post with instructions... But you are - at best - the second who post a Sample-Snippet :D

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
But you are - at best - the second who post a Sample-Snippet

I know, I was composing the post. You are too quick!

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I know that this is not strictly related, but it is similar, anyway.

In "Bugs & wishlist" maybe I should post topics closely related to B4A.

I would (and I think this is very common) "a concentration" (probably a mega tutorial would be fine and enough) about the management of data exchange between devices on Internet (more precisely, a real tutorial on PHP-MySql and everything concerning this argument).

I know there are many posts about this, but not something complete and definitive.

Moreover, we know that all the famous apps use an architecture of this type.

Erel, not flaring up (Google T.: is right? Mah!), I know you can move the post where you want. :)

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel, I should have asked this before, if we go back and add a tag line to posts in the general forum, will they then be re-indexed? or should we just add the code from old posts to the Snippets forum?

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
OK Thanks.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
(after seeing the first posts of the new thread).

We should be able to group the snippets into categories, which is not realizable in a single thread.

For example, the post of DonManfred:
GetFileName

A group of similar functions may contain:
GetFileExtension
GetFileFolder

(I repeat, it's just an example).

These functions would be scattered in the Snippets thread.

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, but boosted in the search by Tag content, and you can use the CodeSnippet Filter in the forum search. Hopefully with carefully selected Tags, we will achieve what you are looking for.

Appropriate Tags are up for discussion.

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, I think we need to build a list of common tags, once we see what is being posted we can find the common ground. Hopefully people making posts are reading what's gone before and using appropriate Tags until we can define the common ones.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In the "Thread usage", I would add another suggestion for writing posts:

if the snippet uses some library or class (or snippet!):

Uses:

or

Needs:

or

Requires:

(choose you, because I quarrel with English)

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
should publish (edit) the three functions (Left, Mid, Right)

Probably not worth changing as posts with similar functions will inevitably come up at different times, More appropriate would be to add general Tags such as 'Text Function' or similar, so they will all be found with the same search.

f the snippet uses some library or class (or snippet!):

Yes, I just made a post and have used 'Depends On', as that is a term already used within the library infrastructure, but anything that makes it clear is fine.

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I set it myself, I think it just makes it a little easier for those reading the post, but I don't think it's really necessary as the libraries are easily found.