Extract information from a website and parse to another website

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The source website has no APIs. What's required is to extract the wanted information and parse it to another website (mine) in a more intuitive and readable format.
Example is train or bus departure times from a website that provides this information in real time.. more details by PM
Good luck

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just comment:
If the source web-site is commercial - they do not like grabbing, and can and will change the web-pages code to prevent parsing. Maybe change by an automated way.
So, it's thankless job, if manual.

But there are commercial parsing services (with special proxy servers pool) where you can order the parsing via some their user interface.
I'd suggest to find such company than develop a parser.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The source website has no APIs. What's required is to extract the wanted information and parse it to another website (mine) in a more intuitive and readable format.
Example is train or bus departure times from a website that provides this information in real time.. more details by PM
Good luck
So you have to scrape a site to get information? It can be done, but if the site is subject to changes it could be a continuous job.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Many thanks to all,.. this job is no longer available

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Was parser created here on the forum ? ;)

73Challenger

Licensed User
One interesting follow up, kind of related. A few years ago I was doing this to yahoo finance to get stock prices. Download html, parse etc. After a certain amount of hits, they started feeding me incorrect information! I'd be pulling MSFT, price $200 (for example) after so many pulls I'd get random prices. Ugh I never spent the time to figure out how many hits...but that is the kind of stuff they do to prevent scraping.