Android Question Google Maps, Firebase Services and google-services.json

GGSoft

Licensed User
Longtime User
I need to get Google Maps into my apps (B4A 6).

I used to do it with:
  • Google Play Services < 30
  • Google Maps library version 1.01
  • Google Maps API Project Key in wich I specified several Android packages
I want to use Google Maps with the new schema (B4A 6+, Google Maps Library 2.0 and Firebase Services). I went through the tutorial with no problem.

Now I want to make an app on my own, but I don't understand the relationship between a Firebase Services project and the Android packages.

A) Shall I generate one Firebase project and attach only one Andorid package to it?, or
B) Can I use one project and agregate many packages to it?

I ask this because the B aproach generates the google-services.json file with all the packages, and I don't know if that is correct, since the file must reside in the poroject directory, and it would have references to packages that have nothing to do with.

Regards.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
There can be multiple applications inside the same Firebase project. The project level settings will be shared by all apps. The server key for example if you are sending push messages.

I ask this because the B aproach generates the google-services.json file with all the packages, and I don't know if that is correct, since the file must reside in the poroject directory, and it would have references to packages that have nothing to do with.
Only the parts relevant to the specific app are pulled from the json file (based on the package name).

Upvote 0

GGSoft

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks, Erel. Now I've got it.

What happens is that I misread the Google Maps tutorial: I thought that in order to implement Google Maps I MUST implement Firebase in addition to Google Play Services. After some experiments, I realized that Google Play services has nothing to do with Firebase when implementing Google Maps.

Regards.

Upvote 0