Android Question IDE problem: Does anyone feel there is a delay/lag when coding in B4A?

b5a

Does anyone feel the same way?
If yes, what should I do to eliminate the delay/lag?

b5a

What I mean is, there is about a 0.3 to 0.6 seconds delay in the IDE's response/feedback when "typing".

I am using the latest version of B4A.

No one feels the same way?

Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yeah, I feel this too. In fairness I use B4X using RDP, so there's some latency added there - don't know how much. And on the other side I'm used to Sublime Text (on my usual computer, so not via RDP), so I'm used to an exceptionally responsive editor. (On the third hand, I do sometimes use Sublime Text - to a lesser degree - via RDP too, and I've never reacted to it being slow when typing.)

There is zero delay when I type.
This might very well be true, but I would just add that some people seem to notice text-writing latency more than other people. I've heard people going nuts when they are forced to sit at a terminal window where they feel it's sluggish, and I just cannot for the life of me notice the latency.

I think I posted about this in the forum some years ago, without getting any traction. I've come to simply accept it, especially as I'm certainly causing some of it by using RDP.

Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You need to provide your hardware specs and OS details.

Do you use a wireless keyboard?

Do you enable the auto backup at very short interval?

Is your project too big with a lot of files in assets?

Upvote 0

Alessandro71

Licensed User
Longtime User
I observed a similar behavior on a big project, while editing really long lines with the _ char.
i think it’s due to the syntax checking running.
sometimes while typing a quick correction to an existing line and pressing F5 to compile the project, the modified line remains underlined in red, as it has a syntax error, while being perfectly fine, because the syntax checking is not yet completed.

Upvote 0

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
For a small project with few codes, there is zero latency, as IDE has to check all variable scope, syntax etc.
For bigger project with many codes and modules, there is visible latency, as (same reason)

[Edit] Alessandro71 explained before I posted.

Upvote 0

b5a

Hi Erel, I'm using B4A in Windows 11 (VM) with wired keyboard/mouse, and just opening an empty project.

My hardware is almost the newest: 13th Generation i9 and 64GB RAM.

Based on some users' replies, is it possible to disable the IDE's automatic syntax checking, just keep keyword highlighting and keyword auto-complete?

Last edited:
Upvote 0