Android Question Recommendations on app beta testing

Nokia

Licensed User
Longtime User
If I was to put an app up for beta testing, would you put it on your own site as beta download or push it to the play store as a beta version?

Would you use the debug key or generate a new one?

What have dome of you done in the past?

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
1) You should use the PlayStore beta program because then you won't have to teach users how to sideload your app from your website, and users will automatically be notified of new beta versions.

2) NEVER give out an APK with the DEBUG key - ALWAYS use your own key regardless if the app is a beta or release

Upvote 0

Nokia

Licensed User
Longtime User
1) You should use the PlayStore beta program because then you won't have to teach users how to sideload your app from your website, and users will automatically be notified of new beta versions.

2) NEVER give out an APK with the DEBUG key - ALWAYS use your own key regardless if the app is a beta or release

do I use the same key for beta and release?

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
do I use the same key for beta and release?
Yes - the key represents you as a company and will be linked to your google developer account when you upload your first app under your account - so the same key will be used for all the apps you as a company produce under your google developer account , release and betas alike.

Upvote 0