Android Question Samsung S Pen

Mansie

Licensed User
Longtime User
Can I use the S Samsung S Pen with B4A?

Looking through the archives - I see others have asked about a library incorporating the s pen SDK - but no definitive response. A sample program would be gratefully received if anyone has managed it!

Mansie

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
As far as i know there is no such library as yet.

Upvote 0

Dave O

Licensed User
Longtime User
It depends on how you want to use the S Pen.

If you're looking for basic detection of touch and draw, the S Pen generates the same events as your finger, but obviously with more accuracy.

If you're looking for hover effects, the AirView library by @barx works well.

My Quick Proto app works best with a stylus, and uses hovers for extra things like tooltips. I can share the code if that's useful.

If you want access to S-Pen-specific features like the pop-up tools and the Samsung drawing engine, then you'll need a library wrapper for that, probably like the one posted above. I assume these features only work on Note phones and tablets - that's why I haven't pursued them further.

Upvote 0

Mansie

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks all...

The post link from Cableguy is very old, and the code there is no longer available. So no wrapper...

Dave O - I have a note tablet with the S pen and need the drawing functions, and the 'pen only' input option (ignores fingers and hands resting on the screen while drawing).

I think these are all contained within the SDK.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Actually I think that there is... It's Samsung specific... I remember seeing it... But can't recall the name.....

I guess you are refering to the Samsung S-Pass lib from @barx

I think these are all contained within the SDK.

Yes.

You are free to
- Create a wrapper for this SDK (requires java knowledge)
- Create a Thread in the wish and bugs forum and hopefully one will do the lib.
- Create a thread in the Job forum and hire someone who ´ll do the job for you (paid)

Upvote 0

hanyelmehy

Licensed User
Longtime User
It depends on how you want to use the S Pen.

If you're looking for basic detection of touch and draw, the S Pen generates the same events as your finger, but obviously with more accuracy.

If you're looking for hover effects, the AirView library by @barx works well.

My Quick Proto app works best with a stylus, and uses hovers for extra things like tooltips. I can share the code if that's useful.

If you want access to S-Pen-specific features like the pop-up tools and the Samsung drawing engine, then you'll need a library wrapper for that, probably like the one posted above. I assume these features only work on Note phones and tablets - that's why I haven't pursued them further.
Hi,
Can you please share Quick Proto Code
Thank you

Upvote 0

Dave O

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,
Can you please share Quick Proto Code
Thank you

Sure, I can share sample code based on my Quick Proto app. (That would be simpler than the entire app codebase, which has a lot of other library dependencies and such).

Please message me privately and let me know which features you're interested in. :)

Upvote 0