Share My Creation Stolen code

:sign0161:

I have a bone to pick with someone on this site. I just published 2 apps on the android marketplace. I did a search to see if anyone used the same name.

I found my word scramble application published by Closoft for .83 The program was exactly as I created it. No mention of the original creator was included.

I thought that the purpose of sharing the code was for educational purposes not for monentary ones.

I don't mind sharing code but at least give me credit.

Last edited:

Fox

Licensed User
Longtime User
:sign0161:

I have a bone to pick with someone on this site. I just published 2 apps on the android marketplace. I did a search to see if anyone used the same name.

I found my word scramble application published by Closoft for .83 The program was exactly as I created it. No mention of the original creator was included.

I thought that the purpose of sharing the code was for educational purposes not for monentary ones.

I don't mind sharing code but at least give me credit.

that is very bad... i think the sharing codes is just for education not for compiling and published in the market... i think the member that have make this is very poor in spirit that he must use other codes for earn a little bit of money...

bazp

Licensed User
Longtime User
I checked today. The developer CLOSOFT has taken down the application on the Android Marketplace. Thanks for your support.

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This was totally out of order and completely against the spirit in which we all want to be able to share code and learn from each other. I was going to say that as it's possible to download the files without being logged into the forum, it could have been anybody, even outside of the community.

As it has been taken down already, that doesn't seem to have been the case. Let's hope this is a one off incident and that it doesn't require further security on the forum.

mistermentality

Licensed User
Longtime User
This was totally out of order and completely against the spirit in which we all want to be able to share code and learn from each other. I was going to say that as it's possible to download the files without being logged into the forum, it could have been anybody, even outside of the community.

As it has been taken down already, that doesn't seem to have been the case. Let's hope this is a one off incident and that it doesn't require further security on the forum.

I thought only forum members could download from here but I agree it is out of order to take something posted on here and sell it as your own work. As for it being removed, well at the time of posting this it still shows up on the market so it hasn't been taken off of there.

It does raise a question I had not thought of yet, which is when I do publish my first commercial app it will no doubt use some of the B4A libraries that members have contributed. Is special licencing needed to do so?

EDIT: Correction, it is only showing on the market when browsed via a computer not on my phone so yes it has been taken down

Dave

Last edited:

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Its' also still displayed on AppBrain and I'm sure many other sites that are fed from the Market. When and if it is taken down, it will probably take a long time to disappear from them all.

Merlot2309

Licensed User
Longtime User
Jehhh Bazp,

Good thing that you found it, but what an :sign0012:
This person must read this forum, so I hope he/she will pay you the money they got with YOUR APP(s?).
I really hope that this won't stop you from sharing your very nice apps and code (grrrrrrr, I won't type what I'm thinking)

Greetz
Helen.

Tom Christman

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think the guy that stole the software should lose access to all of Anywhere Software completely if possible. That is completely unethical and sleazy (to say the least), and hopefully won't affect users posting their software. One rotten apple.....

Fox

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think the guy that stole the software should lose access to all of Anywhere Software completely if possible. That is completely unethical and sleazy (to say the least), and hopefully won't affect users posting their software. One rotten apple.....

Yes that is right... I think so too...

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
One reads a lot about apps being hacked to add malware and put out for download. It would be even easier if the bad guys can just come on here and download the source code and change it up.

It might help if B4A were to embed the programmer's B4A license code in the app so that if a thief recompiles it, he can be tracked down and banned from the forum. A good hacker could get around that, but as we say about locking doors: it keeps the honest thieves out.

mistermentality

Licensed User
Longtime User
One reads a lot about apps being hacked to add malware and put out for download. It would be even easier if the bad guys can just come on here and download the source code and change it up.

It might help if B4A were to embed the programmer's B4A license code in the app so that if a thief recompiles it, he can be tracked down and banned from the forum. A good hacker could get around that, but as we say about locking doors: it keeps the honest thieves out.

I agree it would be an idea to add this licence to the compiled app, but it still would not prevent stealing posted code. The only solution to that would be to put a disclaimer on posted code saying it is free for study purposes but should not be redistributed.

And obviously not to post the source code for commercial applications.

Most of what I have learnt about B4A has been through asking questions and looking at posted code, which encouraged me to post my own code, and hopefully the person who stole Bazp's code won't cause us to stop sharing source code.

It does annoy me that someone could blatantly steal code and sell it as their own creation, I guess some people would rather steal others work than do their own.

Dave

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
...And obviously not to post the source code for commercial applications.

The app I'm working on is so large and complex that I doubt that anyone could glean much by just looking at the code, so when it is done, I plan on uploading the compiled app with no source code and offer to post code segments if anyone wants to know how a particular function was done.

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I checked today. The developer CLOSOFT has taken down the application on the Android Marketplace. Thanks for your support.
For me there is an open question.
If I understand well bazp's post the program was stolen on the Android Marketplace and not on the forum.

@bazp / @Erel: Is this the case ?
If yes, I don't see to have any doubts on the forum member's honesty.

Best regards.