Wavetable Synthesis or MIDI Support

Bob Katayama

Licensed User
Longtime User
I would love to see some kind of support for music production related development tools. Wavetable synthesis plus MIDI either via WiFi, Bluetooth.

Anyone else interested in this type of support either via direct code or a library?

Anyone working on something related to music creation at this stage?

Thanks

Bob

karmacomposer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes. This is the PRIMARY reason I want to create Android Apps. MIDI and any kind of advanced sound synthesis and handling libraries/functions would be awesome!

The iphone has a bunch of great music apps. I think Android devices deserve them as well.

Mike

James Moxham

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes I would be interested in this too.

I'd like to use the device to control things in the real world. I don't have bluetooth and wifi-to-serial devices are half the price of an entire android device, so I had an idea of using the sound output to create serial data waveforms.

However, one needs to create lots of files and saving them and reloading them to flash memory will eventually wear out the memory?

In a simplistic sense, all one really needs to do is create an array of bytes or integers (8 bit or 16 bit sound) and then play it. So the input comes from an array rather than from a .wav file.

However, I found this thread http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4android-updates-questions/7220-sound-support.html and as of the 7th Jan, this looks like it is not possible.

I have another big picture idea that might allow blind people to be able to 'see' using sound. This is the general idea Teaching the blind to see through sound | technology The computing power to do this has been around for a long time but it has not been portable until now. But with a fast language like Android4Basic and a portable device with a camera and audio output, the building blocks are almost there. Addit: The world moves fast. It now is on the android. This didn't exist last time I looked http://www.seeingwithsound.com/

Capture a picture
Process it in real time - extract out key features
Convert to sounds

So it would be very useful to be able to create an array, fill it with, say, a sine wave, and then play that array.

Would this be hard to code?

Last edited:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a Basic4ppc library that writes a wav file of a specified frequency. The source attached here is in C# but the actual coding to write a wav file is pretty simple (and stolen from someone else - attribution web site in the source).

Attachments

• WavFileGenDesktop.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 263

Bob Katayama

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'd like to use the device to control things in the real world. I don't have bluetooth and wifi-to-serial devices are half the price of an entire android device, so I had an idea of using the sound output to create serial data waveforms.

Many moons ago, I helped develop an app for the Windows Mobile called "Point to Pictures" which allowed the physically challenged to use a handheld device to communicate with others. Basically images would be flashed on the device and the user clicks one to have the image playback a recorded phrase.

This area of development in this area is still in its infancy and I feel the Android tablet is one low cost device that can be beneficial for the physically challenged to use. Certainly as far as the blind is concerned, connecting an ultrasonic proximity sensor to an Android device and allow the data to be converted to a more pleasurable sound can be very practical. One idea that comes to mind is the ability to use the ultrasonic sensor to record a commonly traversed path as a MIDI file. Then the file can be played back using specific sounds that represent functions like walk straight, turn left, and turn right. Sort of like a GPS for the blind as one idea.

Also one idea I have is to be able to create MIDI files or music by allowing the end user to hum a tune or melody. Have this recorded sound segment converted to a MIDI file that eventually becomes actual music notations. The tune can then be played back using a selected virtual instrument.

Anyone need a HUMULATOR? :)

Once Basic4Android has support for the Android JetPlayer, I feel this will open up a whole new area for sound related development.

Bob