[Wish] Best Libs Manager

sioconcept

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I wish a module in B4A IDE to update automaticly all installed libs, and why not, a real complete manager.

Please, vote Best Libs Manager !

b4a_wish.jpg

HotShoe

Licensed User
Longtime User
This has been needed for some time now. I would love to see a Tools menu item to check for library updates. It would require a central repository and a means of identifying the version(s) in that repository.

--- Jem

yttrium

Licensed User
Longtime User
This has been needed for some time now. I would love to see a Tools menu item to check for library updates. It would require a central repository and a means of identifying the version(s) in that repository.

--- Jem

Additionally, since we're at it, why not just host a list of all libraries, short descriptions (like the Wiki page but code-friendly), and then have B4A display a web store-esque page for installing libraries?

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You also have to consider that in other for this to be effective, the creators of 3rd party libraries must be part of it, as of right now, I've seen that some library makers do not update the thread "subscribe to library updates", so, what difference will it make to have a "repository" when we are going to have the same problem.

Just my 2 cents.

sioconcept

Licensed User
Longtime User
I agree with you NJDude.
It must be said that there is no other way than through the forum to add libraries, so this will provide an effective tool for both developers as for the creators.

DeerBear

Licensed User
Longtime User
You also have to consider that in other for this to be effective, the creators of 3rd party libraries must be part of it, as of right now, I've seen that some library makers do not update the thread "subscribe to library updates", so, what difference will it make to have a "repository" when we are going to have the same problem.

Just my 2 cents.

Right now the creator, ideally, has to:

- Update the library
- Upload the new version
- Notify

With an appropriate tool(set) the creator would press a button which:
- Updates the library
- Uploads the new version
- Sends a message to the server about the update

Then B4A would check for updates and notify user.
Job done.

Regards,

A

Vader

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have personally suggested that I can build this functionality into the B4a Object Browser, however this will not happen just now.

The rationale for this is simple:
If you own say B4a version 2.00, and you do not have any time left in your support, if there was a way to auto update, then you could get version 2.70 of B4a without paying for it.

:sign0161:

To make matters worse, registered user details aren't held anywhere to check against, so how would an update function be able to check that you are or are not allowed to update?

:confused:

Until support is built in to overcome the aforementioned problems, this won't happen.