B4i (iOS) - Updates thread

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes. You must first sign to Apple developers program ($100 per year). This allows you to upload apps to the AppStore and to install your apps on up to 100 specific devices.

Thanks Erel,
If Apple charges for developer services I am ok with that.. but when one buys an iPhone and pays the full amount, then he must be able to install
any software one wants. The argument that this is their product and anyone is free to buy it or leave is not valid.

GKCS

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was really wondering, how long it may take until somebody catch this point ....

"It means that if I want to write an app just for myself or my company then I must register as developer with Apple and upload my app to them then download it all the way back.."

This "feature" is already enough, NOT TO USE such devices in any way for any serious commercial usage.

- How can you seriousely develope iOS software for a given customer, and let Apple decide IF this customer is able to install on his devices?
- How can you sell some hardware with iOS as remote applikation to a given customer? As long as Apple decide IF this applikation can be installed .... I guess, NO real customer will accept ....
- And how about updates for ONE customer, NOT allow all the masses to use your software too?
- Not to mention update speed. No way to send a quick fix to your customer, always the way around thru AppleStore????? Ouch ...

Honestly, Apple devices are great hardware, BUT as long as Apple goes this way, even the best hardware became a NO GO for seriouse applications.

Honestly, I neither understand the developers hype waiting for a tool which supports such a platform, nor will I support such a system. Because there are just too many external restrictions which are out of my control.

When I have a product, I like to deal with MY customers on my own duty and risk, and NOT wait until Apple allow it to me.

G.

GKCS

Licensed User
Longtime User
and? This won't change any in the core meaning. It is just unacceptable and I don't need a "leading-string" from Apple to do business with my own customers.
Honestly, I also wouldn't accept, when you only allow me, to install my developed app to 100 devices within one B4A licence.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Note that a developer account allows you to install an app on up to 100 devices without uploading the app to Apple

This is even worse,
It means that I must pay Apple a hundred Dollars, to install the app that I wrote in the phone that I bought!!!
So if I developed a tiny game for my daughter, that lasted a few hours to develop, then I must draw my credit card
and pay Apple $100, and wait for their acceptance and blessings to install it into my daughter's computer..
Yes Anaywhere Software has no control or say on Apples policies.. but consumers (developers) have. The US
Law is different in some ways from the European Law. It looks into the spirit and bone of the Law and not only into the "form"
I will consult with some friends over here for a possible action. I will talk to my Congressman tomorrow.

GKCS

Licensed User
Longtime User
you are right Erel, we can't change Apples policy. BUT it is everybodys own decision NOT supporting Apple devices. And so, also not supporting B4I, or?

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I would support b4i and continue to put more pressure on Apple.
Fortunately, US Law puts priority for then public interest before a company's freedom to decide their business practice.
US vs. Microsoft is a good example.
Will open a new thread for this is the last post here (for me)

RAJAN MBA

Licensed User
Longtime User
Whether you like it or not, Apple policy has not deterred millions of developers from developing in iOS because paid apps sell more in appstore . App store users tend to buy more inapp items too. In 2013 App store sales was $10 billion.

RAJAN MBA

Licensed User
Longtime User
you are right Erel, we can't change Apples policy. BUT it is everybodys own decision NOT supporting Apple devices. And so, also not supporting B4I, or?
Please note millions of developers are already developing billions of app for appstore. Whether we support them is immaterial. It is you who wants in, not them.

RAJAN MBA

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is even worse,
The US Law is different in some ways from the European Law. It looks into the spirit and bone of the Law and not only into the "form"
I will consult with some friends over here for a possible action. I will talk to my Congressman tomorrow.
It is futile. :) You have no idea of Apple's power ! You are way too optimistic.

ivan.tellez

Licensed User
Longtime User
Wow, this are great news! Can't wait!

In other ideas...

Also, recently Microsoft made it clear that they are not going to update VB6. So this can be a good opportunity to make another IDE, B4W which complies Basic Code using C compilers for Windows PC.

B4J already supporlts Windows apps as well as other platforms.

I think that the sugestión of os abhishek007p makes sense. I developped in VB6 for over a decade, Hated .Net just like lots of other developpers Recently microsoft refuses to make a new vb and also to open source it. But many programmers are still looking for a replacement.

B4j its great, but the dealbreaker for many its that just lacks the look and feel of developping a real native app, this is true in the developping proces (mainly the way controls work) and in the using of the app (look and feel of the resulting Java UI).

There was a project really interesting but now abandonned called JABACO, that resolves this 2 issues. It was based on java, but the IDE was much more friendly with controls ready to use in a WYSIWYG designer like VB6. And can compile to a cross platform jar file with native look and feel and also has the option to complile to a .exe file.

I really love to see something like this in B4j

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Note that this is not the correct thread to discuss other platforms.

There is already a powerful WYSIWYG designer in B4J (Oracle Scene Builder).
It is very simple to convert the jar file to an exe file.

Anyway, we do not plan to create another desktop tool (and B4J is actually much more than a desktop tool as you can also create servers and web apps with it).

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
These are good points but remember that there are gazillions of iPhone and iPad users, most of them are rich :D

When Erel releases B4i we will all have the potential to tap into this massive market.

$100 is chicken feed

:)

Also, just to clarify, yes you have to pay $100 dollars to be able to publish your apps to the apple store so that everyone can download them and/or pay for them.

I believe that once you have paid this $100 dev fee then you can release as many apps as you want but I may stand corrected on this.

In addition to this and as part of being a registered developer with apple you are able to dedicate up to 100 devices that can bypass the apple store.

Your own dev devices for example.

The apple developer program currently costs $99 per year:

https://developer.apple.com/programs/

and perhaps more pertinent:

https://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/distribute.html

I haven't seen anything like 'subscriptions' in-app purchases like google do.

Look at this like this kiddies, Erel is going to unleash us on the great unwashed iOS masses :)

We should be ready to take advantage.

Last edited:

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Everyone seems to be talking about either Apple licensing or about how Apple runs there business.

So to put things back on track again (for what this thread is all about) just wondering, Erel how is the process of B4I going? Are you able to show us some sneak peeks ?

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm quite happy with the progress. There is not much that can be demonstrated for now but here is a simple demo that I recorded:

Note that the device is not connected with a cable to any computer.
The debugger is almost fully working. You can put breakpoints, monitor the variables and run watch expressions.

It is better to watch this movie in full screen.