Develop Windows apps with Basic4android? What do you think?

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Based on the implementation of the rapid debugger, it may be possible in the future to develop standard Java applications (applications that can run on Windows / Linux / Mac and other OSs). Many of the libraries are standard Java libraries. So they will work as is.

For example, it will be quite simple to develop a desktop app that communicates with the Android app.

So what do YOU think? Will such a solution be useful for you?

CARTHO

Licensed User
Longtime User
Based on the implementation of the rapid debugger, it may be possible in the future to develop standard Java applications (applications that can run on Windows / Linux / Mac and other OSs). Many of the libraries are standard Java libraries. So they will work as is.

For example, it will be quite simple to develop a desktop app that communicates with the Android app.

So what do YOU think? Will such a solution be useful for you?

This sounds perfect!

wimpie3

Licensed User
Longtime User
What would really interest me is an IOS version. For Windows development there are plenty of alternatives.

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It will be wonderful. Although we have a way to develop desktop applications (b4ppc), as time passes it is harder to remember and write with it, and of course b4a has more possibilities.

ivanomonti

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Was my question a year ago, I am convinced that you will make us a great gift Erel, I hope soon make things happen.

Era la mia domanda di un anno fa, sono convinto che tu Erel ci farai un regalo immenso, spero presto tutto questo succeda.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
What would really interest me is an IOS version. For Windows development there are plenty of alternatives.
There is no doubt that there is a high demand to an iOS version. However technically it is a completely different story.

What I'm thinking of is taking advantage of the existing implementation to provide an option to create standard Java apps.

I will give another example, you used HttpUtils2 (or Remote Database Connector) to connect to your company web service. Now you will be able to (quite) easily take the existing code and make a Windows client as well.

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
So we saying I write in b4a and it runs on Windows? That would be sexual. I have just started learning java for desktop so this could save me life...

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
You will not be able to run an existing Android project on Windows. You will need to create a new "desktop" project and hopefully you will be able to reuse most of the code and libraries.
yeah that's what I meant Erel. That would make me very happy. How would ui work? As in creating the java prog ui to show on desktop.

mariusturnkey

Licensed User
Longtime User
That could work, judging by the responses so far.

Personally I like Basic4Android for the Android side, my main development platform is Delphi, XE5 has just been released which supposedly can do cross-platform compilation to Win/Android/iOS. (Way to expensive in my opinion though)

I will stick to B4A for Android development, and Delphi for Win development. At this point in time I don't have any desire to develop for the iOS platform though.

jjmairena

Licensed User
Longtime User
creo que la pregunta seria... para cuando??? por que esta demas preguntar... es una idea genial