B4J Question Need Guidance

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Guys...

Been trying to enter this B4J world but never had a "project" to start with... up until now...

I have a Raspberry Pi 2 model B which will soon become my HomeBrewServer, and if I understand correctly, B4J apps can run on it...
So I want to build myself a webserver app... but I have no clue were to start!!

My app would Ideally have 3 components:
-Server, to manage the database requests
-Client (browser based?) with user Login and permission management
-Report builder (separate app perhaps) to generate reports based on criteria

So... I need guidance on how to even start!
For starters, How should I build my UI? (can B4J feed the UI to the Browser?)

thanks

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The server is a non-ui application, there are examples in the forum and I can support with example of one for SQLite.
The client - if you want it in a borowser you'll have to deal with html scripts - these are not b4j although there are examples for writing from a handler to the browser page.
I recommend a stand alone ui application that will have access to the DB. Erel just published a new version with a designer similar to what you know from b4a. A similar app can also be on a device with b4a, it is quite easy to produce when you have the b4j app and vice versa.
Report builder - the same.

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The server is a non-ui application, there are examples in the forum and I can support with example of one for SQLite.
The client - if you want it in a borowser you'll have to deal with html scripts - these are not b4j although there are examples for writing from a handler to the browser page.
I recommend a stand alone ui application that will have access to the DB. Erel just published a new version with a designer similar to what you know from b4a. A similar app can also be on a device with b4a, it is quite easy to produce when you have the b4j app and vice versa.
Report builder - the same.
Hi Derez, Thanks for clarification. If I understood correctly, I need to create the server on main and then create a bunch of handler to feed the info to the browser, right?

Upvote 0